Total Pageviews

Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 4, June 28th, 2010. Wednesday.






OK.. Ed, with the help of Dad, got the 40 out of the garage. Ed got it washed, and some what running. Now it the time for some REAL fix'n.


Back about a year, or 2, maybe 3, my friend Jim picked up a set of brake shoes, 4 wheel cylinders, and 3 brake hoses for me. Life was going to be good. I have just about all the parts I need to completely rebuild the brake system. I figure i will have to buy new grease seals for the front wheels, and some steel brake lines, and rebuild the master cylinder, but hell, what could those cost?


So, I jack up the front end of the car first. I was going to jack the whole car up and put it on Jack stands till I remembered those wheel chocks. Doing front first then the rears seems to be a much safer way to work.



Jack stands are VERY important. I will just say, VERY important.



After securing the front of the car on stands, I removed the wheels, the brake drums, the brakes, and the backing plates. The car looks a little lost without wheels on it.

At this time, I also removed the Brake Master Cylinder, as well as the brake and clutch pedals. The pedals are 2 piece and the bolt, hinge on the master cylinder. The master cylinder will need to be rebuilt. I found a new one, but at $160.00 it's a little steep right now. We will cross our fingers and hope the original is rebuildable.


After removing all the brake parts off the front of the car, I gathered all the parts and headed home. I will rebuild everything at home and come back next week to install them. The front shoes are in very good shape so I will reuse them on the rear. The backing plates need to be sand-blasted, master cylinder rebuilt, and the brake drums turned. I did wash the front drums out before I left. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea Ed, keep it up as I'm looking to live vicariously through your adventure.

    ReplyDelete