Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Front wheels

OK, since we last looked, the front brakes, hoses and lines have been installed. The master cylinder and pedals have also been installed. It must be time to put the front brake drums back on and add tires so we can begin on the rear brakes.

Off to my local NAPA store to get wheel seals. Let me explain. Inside your front brake drums, are "HUBS". inside these hubs are bearings. Well, bearings need lubrication. In this case, they need, Wheel Bearing Grease. Well, to keep the wheel bearing grease inside the hubs, and not all over your brake shoes, you need seals.


Back to our story. I head off to NAPA.. Nope.. their books don't go back to 1940. I go home and check things on the internet. Looks to me, like these front seals are the same as a 1953 Corvette. Everybody has parts for a 1953 Corvette. I head off to a different parts store. He can have them for me tomorrow. OK. I wait.

Not to be totally unproductive, I head back to NAPA to buy some steel brake line to make the lines in the back. I ask, while I was there, "do you have grease seals for a 1953 Corvette?" he says, "SURE". Ed is BACK in business. Armed with my brake lines, and my new seals, I am ready to install the front wheels.


OK.. What is the FIRST thing a mechanic does? Correct. VERIFY you have the correct part. Second, VERIFY that the correct part FITS. Did I mention, I THOUGHT 1953 Corvette and 1940 Master Deluxe used the same front grease seals? Well, either I am wrong, or I have the wrong part. Oh well, the correct ones will be here tomorrow.


First thing I do this morning is go to second part store and pick up the ordered seals. I am smart this time. I take the part the seals fit TO with me.

OK.. So, these don't fit either. WHAT to do now? Hello Internet?


YEP.. new seals ordered. $29.00 shipped to my door. BUT, I have to wait. EMAIL from website says 3 to 4 week delivery time. NOT good.


New seals arrive in 3 days. New seals FIT. Old seals were felt, new seals are rubber. I think the rubber ones will work much more gooder..

Time now to re-pack the wheel bearings.. ONE of the worst jobs you can do. Stacy says, "Why don't you wear rubber gloves?" OK.. So,, she thinks ahead. and, she BRINGS me rubber gloves. WHAT a great idea. it worked great. I am sure the grease would melt the gloves in a short time but the 20 minutes of use, they worked perfectly.

Front wheel hubs all packed with grease, new seals, and pained ready to be installed.



Time to install the brake drums on the front, and adjust the brake shoes. Pretty easy work here. Please notice, I did NOT machine the front drums. They were in very good condition and I can't see wasting antique iron just for a little rust, or warpage.




NOW... Front Brakes are complete. We can lower the front end and start on the rear brakes.




All wheels ON, time to start on the rears.
UP we go.. REMEMBER the JACK STANDS.....Safety first.



Wheels off.




Right Drum Off.


Left Drum Off. Oh look, Parts are falling off.. Looks like we have a problem.

We will get back to these....

No comments:

Post a Comment