Total Pageviews

Monday, July 19, 2010

Sunday, Day 2.

After a lot of thinking, I figured the coil, along with the points and condenser had to be bad. This is not a good thing. The coil in a 1940 Chevy is NOT an off the shelf item in 2010. So, Sunday morning I headed off to NAPA. If you don't know, NAPA is, Nation Automotive Parts Association. Of, as we say in the auto industry, Never Any Parts Available. I was in luck. the store HAD points and condenser in stock. I did ask about a coil, no such luck. I then asked if they had ANY 6 volt coil in stock. They did. And the price was? only $45.00. OUCH.. I was NOT about to spend $45.00 on a guess. That is one thing i really hate doing, Throwing parts at a car hoping to make it work.
I took the point and condenser, a set of "blue" spark plug wires and headed off to dad's. Being the HIGHLY skilled mechanic, I used all the proper tools to install and adjust the point. MY EYE, and a screwdriver. (So much for feeler gauges). I installed the new wires as well.
I called Dad and asked if he would push the starter button so I could check the spark again. Well folks, we now have spark. This was a HUGE step. I put the last spark plug wire, actually the coil wire into the distributor. Dad left to go back in the basement. I walked around, sat in the driver seat, turn the key, and stepped on the starter. HOLY CRAP. It STARTED. OIL PRESSURE. Generator CHARGING. I couldn't believe it was running. Remember yesterday? that SMELL? that was gas. Very OLD gas, but gas.

5 cylinders. Yep, 5. So much for my calibrated eye on adjusting the points. We will get to that in a couple days. But first. BACK it out of the garage so it can be washed. Do you have ANY idea how much dirt and dust falls on a car in 20 years?
Let's get the soap out..

No comments:

Post a Comment