Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Masterr Cylinder

Sometime over the past couple weeks, I worked on the master cylinder. When I started, The brake pedal went straight to the floor.


So, as seen in earlier photos, I pulled out the master cylinder. This master cylinder is also the mounting for the clutch and brake pedals. I pulled those out as well, sand blasted them and painted them a satin black, rather than gloss.
I disassembled the master cylinder and inspected the bore. It had some pretty deep pits from moisture. All I could do is try to hone it enough to make it seal. I took the cylinder down to a friends garage and asked what he thought. He said, "Hone it, add some old grinding compound and see what happens." So. THAT is what I did. After I wore out the first set of stones, I bought a new hone. I then wore out the second set of stones. After all this, I could still "see" the pits, but, i could NOT feel any pits. I found a rebuild kit at the local NAPA store for $16.95.. Good deal. Wish me LUCK..
I painted up the master cylinder, the brake levers, and re-assembled them. It sure looked good.

I also pained up the Pedals that went through the floor. I found new pedals pads for some small price, so I bought those as well. Painting the pedals a satin black as well.

Re-installing the master cylinder is not that easy. it is mounted under the floor, but above the frame. You have to put the pedal levers on it before you slide the master cylinder into place. Once in place, you can't really see it, at least not where you can reach it.

This is where the master cylinder lives. Red wires go to the stop light switch.

This is the hole in the floor. The black nut it the top of the master cylinder.

This is all you can see from the bottom of the car.
The view of the master cylinder, and pedal levers.


The brake and clutch pedals painted and installed. New rubber pads as well.

New steel brake lines from the master cylinder, across the cross member, to the junction block needed to be cut, bent and connected as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment