Total Pageviews

Monday, July 19, 2010

Starting


The very first job I took on was getting this running. I know it had been sitting in my dad's garage for 10-15 years with out being started. The battery in the car was dated 7/1988. That being said, the battery HAD to be replaced. A trip to Battery Plus found a replacement 6 volt battery for $73.00. Not too bad. The battery cables seemed to be in "OK" shape with very little corrosion. The batter tray was remarkably complete. While there is surface rust on it. There are NO rust throughs. Now the engine would crank. I installed the battery on a Saturday evening, June 26th, 2010.

After some cranks, and NO fire, I started doing some checking. First, I checked for Fuel. YEP, I could smell SOMETHING in the carburetor. ANYONE that has worked on a car that has been sitting knows the smell I am speaking of. It sure don't smell like gas.

Anyways, I then check the ignition side. Yep, the point were in BAD shape. The wires were not what you would call flexable. So, I cleaned and re-gapped the points, and tried NOT to break the wires off.
After some MORE cranks, I figured something must be wrong. Fortunately, about every 20 or 30 minutes, Dad would show up and say, "Anything I can help with?". This time there was. I couldn't push the starter button and check for spart at the same time.

Dad push the button, I checked. BAD news here folks. NO SPARK. well.. a little but not enough to fire the High Compression engine. OK.. Enough for Day ONE. It's too hot out, and it's time for dinner..

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment